RimeTimer

Monday, October 30, 2006

THE END

Learning 2.0—THE END

I love my computers. I love Internet. I would have a hard time living and working without either. I love all the choices in technology, and I take advantage of them as I need them and usually have no problem learning or applying them if there is a need for them. However, it is with dismay that I realize that a huge portion of my life is spent in front of a computer screen. As with my television-watching, I am trying to do less, not more. I am even more horrified to see people living their LIVES via Internet and e-mail.

I learned about some interesting possibilities while navigating Learning 2.0, but I will not visit them again unless I need them. Although there is some potential for application to my work, much of what Learning 2.0 covered seemed frivolous and applied more to personal interests than to professional ones for most library employees.

I was very uncomfortable using valuable and tight work time on this activity, so it took me over 3 months to complete. I actually did almost all of it in a single day in late October. I’m completing the last steps at home. I put as little time as possible into Learning 2.0 because I had so much to do at work. I wonder, now that staff has been given what could be interpreted as permission to use personal blogs, sites such as YouTube, Flikr, download sites, etc., how does the cat get put back in the bag? Will all staff be reminded that non-job-related use of Internet is prohibited? Is everyone to be allowed to be plugged in to their MP-3 players while they work?

I can’t say I enjoyed the steps. I was bored and disgusted for the most part at the shallowness of much of what I saw. I was constantly reminded of the damage Internet is doing to language skills. On the other hand, I also caught an occasional glimpse of originality, talent, and artistry. I only wish it didn’t consume so much time to find the pearls among the drivel and trash. I saw some potential for using what I’ve learned about blogs, Flikr, Del.icio.us, Technorati, etc., in creating a site for Storytimes to Go!

I’d like to suggest that this not be an activity with a deadline. I’m sure there were others in the library system besides me who refused to use their work time to explore these sites thoroughly enough to discover the best in them. If an incentive is to be offered, give it WHENEVER the staff member completes the list. Chances are, the person who takes the longest to complete it will have learned more and intruded into their duties less to accomplish it.

In the end, after a lot of grumbling on my part, I’d say that this was the kind of learning experience where you take what you can and use it, and file the rest away. I definitely found some of the learning useful. Thank you, Helene and staff for all the hard work you put into this project.

1 Comments:

  • Funny that you have brought up such a delicate topic in todays technology-reliant society... It is because of the computer with its spell check and what not, I can no longer spell, let alone speak properly. However, thanks to the internet, I've finally found you. Thank you technology for helping me to find the very funny, very artistic, very creative, and very beautiful part of my blood line that I have missed so much.

    By Blogger AbbyTheRed, at 10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home